Did you know that
In a letter to Lord Loudon dated October 25, 1757, Robert Rogers detailed his methods of training and rules of order which marked a change for the British way of confronting an enemy on the battlefield. These "Ranging Rules", written on Rogers Island, form the basis of military tactics adopted by irregular fighting forces all over the world.
The Rogers Island Visitors Center opened to the public on July 6, 2001. Since that time we have had the pleasure of greeting thousands of visitors from nearly all of the states in the U.S. and dozens of foreign countries. Exhibits at the Visitors Center tell the story of the Fort Edward area, from the earliest Native Americans that lived here through the Revolutionary War.
Step inside to find out which two American cities were larger than the Fort Edward of 250 years ago.
Many artifacts from the Little Wood Creek Archaeological Site in Fort Edward are archived at the Center. This site was the home of Native Americans as long ago as 1000 B.C. Artifacts and exhibits detailing later native American occupation as well as the colonial history of Fort Edward and Rogers Island can be seen here.
Today, the Rogers Island Visitors Center also serves as the home base of operations for the Adirondack Community College Archeological Field School for six weeks each summer. All artifacts are processed in our own archaeological lab, often a busy place with artifacts being cleaned, identified and readied for storage. Many of these artifacts are on display at the Center.
The Rogers Island Visitors Center proudly hosts an annual French & Indian War Encampment each September that has proven to be popular with reenactors and the general public. Living history demonstrations, drills and skirmishes are conducted along the banks of the Hudson River.
Closed Nov - May
11 Rogers Island Drive (off Rte. 197) – PO Box 208, Fort Edward, NY 12828
Phone: 518-747-3693 [email protected]